Sunday 18 March 2012

Happy Mother's Day

I've decided that I'm going to use today's post to write about someone else who was badly affected by me having cancer, in many ways worse than me. Today's blogpost is going to be dedicated to my Mum.

None of us would be here if it wasn't for our Mums. At the very least they carried you for nine months and in most cases they love and care for you always, and even if you don't always like each other, you love each other all the same.

My Mum, Sandra.
August 2011

From the moment I was diagnosed my Mum was there for me, whether I wanted her to be or not in many cases! She put up with me being moody or upset, irrational or just plain old annoying. She saw me go through the worst, at times on my high dose chemotherapy she would have to leave the room to cry because of how ill I looked and how bad she felt that she couldn't be the one in pain rather than me.

Although she cried and cried when I was first diagnosed, she was always the one who would tell me that everything would be okay, even if she doubted it herself. No Mum should ever have to worry about their child dying. My Mum was one of the people who kept me going when I was at my worst. She reminded me why I was fighting and I couldn't have done it without her. 

On the ward, my Mum was always the one who cooked my food and made me drinks. She helped me and kept me motivated, just by talking to me. 

My Mum got to see me get better following treatment, but some Mums don't get to. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for a Mother to lose their child but I know that it's hard enough just to lose friends. Every Mum on Ward 78 truly did everything they could for their child, and I'll never forget the red, tearful eyes of many of them when they had been told bad news or had just been having a bad day. 

Even though the child is the one with the cancer it is often the Mum who suffers the most having to watch and being powerless. Having cancer really made me appreciate my Mum and although I wish it hadn't been so serious, I'm glad it made me realise how lucky I am.

Happy Mother's Day Mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment